A Few Tips to Get You Started...
Bird and nature watching is an outdoor sport - bring your gear and be prepared to have fun! The mornings start outdoors at 6am and the days are spent in the mountains at various elevations and physical environments. Mornings can be quite cool, afternoons quite warm, and a spring shower may pop up. You never know what you're going to get into.
- hand sanitizer
- disinfectant wipes
- COVID test
- spotting scope
- field guide(s)
- hat with a visor**
- rain jacket
- hiking shoes
- insect repellant
- allergy medicine
- personal emergency medical kit***
- travel snacks
- battery chargers
- notebook and pencil
- refillable water bottle
- chilly Appalachian mornings and warm afternoons... most days require layers
- long and short sleeved shirts
- comfortable clothes and shoes for down-time
**NRBNF uber-awesome hats are available for purchase at the Meadows all week of the Festival while supplies last.
***We have an emergency medical kit available on each field trip.
We eagerly look forward to hosting and birding with you during your spring migration stopover (with our best big cheesy grins, and we mean it!)
- Festival check-in depends upon your first field trip:
Monday (all-week and first-half-week) meet us Sunday, any time between 6 PM and 8 PM, at Burnwood for a casual cookout welcome.
Thursday (second-half-week, first-time) meet us Thursday for Birding by Butt at Opossum Creek Retreat - coffee is ready at 6 AM; breakfast at 8 AM; outings begin at 9 AM.
Thursday (second-half-week, returning) may choose Birding by Butt or another field trip. By your selection, we'll see you at Burnwood at 6 AM or the Meadows before 9 AM.
- Upon check-in you will receive a bird species checklist, name tag and personal itinerary.
- Registered participants immediately receive an emailed itinerary; in April additional information and maps. All of which you should read, print, and bring with you.
- We provide lunch, water, utensils and snacks on field trips. Bring your own favorites.
- If you are staying with our lodging partners, check in is the evening before your first field trip and check-out is the morining following your last field trip. Contact the lodging prrovider to handle late check-in details.
- Burnwood, the breakfast and trip rendezvous point, is located immediately north of New River Gorge Bridge, across Rt. 19 from the National Park's Canyon Rim Visitor Center.